Image source: Pexels by Pixabay
As the days heat up, the question is always there, should you take the plunge and opt for the big chop? There are so many hairstyles for short hair these days, from chin length bob hairstyles through to medium bob haircuts.
The classic bob is being rocked by anyone and everyone, there’s an array of hairstyles for short hair that are more fashion forward than ever before. Check out our guide to some of the hottest styles this summer and how to style a bob haircut or pixie cut once you have one.
1. Our first favourite bob hairstyle is a red carpet worthy, sophisticated bob.This look on Lady Gaga is all about the smooth and sleek bob with volume and bounce. To get this look use the Digital Sensor Hot Air Styler on your short hair, being sure to tuck the ends of your hair under as you go.
2. To get this coveted style seen on Kylie Jenner, you need a middle part with a straight, blunt bob. Use the Straight & Curl Brilliance to get the perfectly straight look for this style, this tool is also ideal as it gives you a soft, silky finish that adds glamour.
Image source: @kyliejenner
3. For the commitment shy, opt for a lob style like Hailey Bieber. A lob is short for a “long bob” which is hair length between long hair and a bob cut, usually just above shoulder length. Once you’ve gotten the cut, to achieve Hailey’s stunning style, use the Frizz Defense Straightening Brush to get a silky smooth finish while eliminating any pesky flyway’s.
Image source: @haileybeiber
4. For a similar look with the same cut, copy Margot Robbie’s long wavy bob. This look is the ideal summer, beachy wave look that as Margot shows us, paired with a cute summery dress is the perfect style for a summer party or gathering with friends. To get this style, use the Curl Secret Optimum on the Natural setting for an easy curl you’ll love.
Image source: @margotrobbie
5. Bobs are great as you can do so much with them. For a fun take on the bob for nights out do as Demi Lovato has done and have dip dyed coloured ends with a wash out spray. Add volume by using the Digital Sensor Dryer as this tool gives you a faster, healthier style.
Image source: @ddlovato
6. We’re totally in love with this simple, elegant bob right now. This look is the ideal work hairstyle that ‘ll pair beautifully with a corporate dress and heels. Use the 5Q Brilliance High Performance Dryer to smooth and shape hair with a round brush. With anti-frizz technology that eliminates static, this tool will give you a gorgeous, smooth style every time.
Image source: mito jashiashvili from Pixabay
7. For flat as a pancake styles like this one worn by Khloe, go for the new Frizz Defense Salon Straightener and run over locks. This straightener uses super frizz defense technology that smoothes hair to give you the perfectly straight style Khloe has.
Image source: @khloekardashian
8. Kim Kardashian has also gone for the big chop in recent times, this look is straight but with some movement and volume. To get Kim Kardashian’s look blow dry hair and then use the Frizz Defense Salon Straightener to keep tresses in place but not flat.
9. The next bob hairstyle we love is this gorgeous, straight bob that shapes your face. To get those perfect tucked under ends, part hair in the middle then use the Frizz Defense Rotating Hot Air Styler on the ends to accentuate the shaped style.
Image source: Alexandr Ivanov from Pixabay
10. Bangs are so hot right now. All the celebs love rocking bangs on the red carpet, so don’t miss out on this trend. Add a side swept fringe to your bob like Taylor Swift has when you feel like a change. Style with the Venezia 2400 AC Professional Dryer to smooth and add lift.
11. Get yourself a good quality hairdryer for this short style with movement inspired by Rihanna. Make sure you take extra care to style the side fringe smooth across one side. Try the salon-grade Ravenna Expert 2400 with a small round brush to achieve Rihanna’s look.
12. To look as ‘fetch’ as Rachel McAdams does here, try the Keratin Protect Big Curls to give the ends of your hair some soft curl. We love this look as it gives you subtle, simple waves perfect for any occasion.
13. After adding some soft movement through the ends with the Keratin Protect Undone Waves, comb out with a wide tooth comb to loosen to your desired result like Emma Stone’s look here. Finish with a slide accessory of choice to pull some hair away from your face.
14. For those lucky enough to have naturally curly hair, this style is every straight hair girls envy. To get this look you need to embrace your natural curl and show off your natural beauty. Short styles are great on all hair types, so if you have curly hair, don’t be afraid to opt for a short style. To get a perfect curly, short style, use good quality products and go for a hairdresser that specialises in cutting hair with curl.
Image source: @fentybeauty
15. The blunt bob with fringe is another style we’re totally crushing on at the moment. The new Elegance Straightening Brush will give you the sleekness and finish you need to nail this look, the blunt cut fringe adds a Parisian chic finish.
Image source: engin akyurt from Pixabay
16. If you’re worried you can’t pull off short hair and don’t want to get the chop just yet, try opting for a bob for a night with a funky wig like Miley Cyrus has here. Don’t be afraid to go for brightly coloured styles. You might surprise yourself with all the comments you get, short hair shows confidence.
Image source: @mileycyrus
17. The messy wave adds a different dimension to bob hairstyles. It gives an edgy, subtle look that’s so hot right now. Selena Gomez’s messy wave can be achieved with the 38mm Ceramic Curler and a paddle brush to loosen to a wave. Finish with a matte texturizing spray for an imperfect wave.
18. Katy Perry’s soft wave with side part is easy to get with the Curl Secret Optimum used on the sophisticated setting for a medium curl. Loosen with a comb if you want to soften it and spritz with hairspray to finish.
Image source: @katyperry
19. The pixie cut is a great style for busy women on the go thanks to its easy to style quality. Ask your hairdresser for a pixie crop for this edgy style and add product to get a slight wave and textures through your style just as Jennifer Lawrence has done.
20. Emma Roberts has that low maintenance summer hair style covered with this side parted, blunt style. If you don’t have natural waves, you can add some subtle volume by using the Curl Secret Optimum on the natural setting.
Image source: @emmaroberts
21. If you‘re looking for a stunning bob style that‘s perfect for a date night or a night out with your besties, you can’t go past this style. A bob with soft wave is one of the most flattering hairstyles you can rock. To get this style, use the Curl Secret Optimum on the sophisticated setting then use a wide tooth comb to loosen curls for a more natural look.
Image source: @pierrehaddidhair
22. For this side swept modern style that Natalie Portman perfects, add waves with the Keratin Protect Undone Waves and finish with gel. To get the side swept look, don’t part hair down the middle, instead part your hair on the side where you feel fit.
Image source: @natalieportman
23. For a tighter curl like Erin Wasson has here, go for the Curl Secret Optimum on the romantic setting. This look gives you a sophisticated wave style that can be dressed up or dressed down.
Image source: @erinwasson
24. Get this cute medium bob haircut and style into a half up, half down style. Add waves at the ends by wrapping hair around the Frizz Defense Hot Air Styler and for a straight side fringe use the Frizz Defense Salon Straightener.
Image source: @carlbembridgehair
25. Bedhead looks are so in at the moment, they give you a natural, relaxed style that’ll be sure to have you turning heads. Mila Kunis has all the bedhead vibes happening with this messy lob. To achieve this look use the Keratin Protect Undone Waves and mess up with fingers/comb for an unfinished look.
Image source: @milakunism
26. Khloe Kardashian’s messy bob is perfect for days when you want a modern, fresh look. To get this style, wash your hair and then dry with the Frizz Defense AC Salon Dryer. This tool gives you a professional worthy blow dry that as the name says, eliminates frizz.
Image source: @khloekardashian
27. Kristin Stewart has the ultimate stylish, bedhead feel with this short bob haircut she wore to a red carpet event. To vamp up the look, Kristin added red lippy.
Image source: @kristenstewart_
28. Billy Faiers nails this glam lob length with some loose movement. Try the Keratin Protect Undone Waves on the ends of your lob to get the gorgeous, wavy style Billy has.
Image source: @billiefaiersofficial
To avoid confusion and bad hair days ahead, go to a reputable hairdresser and take this article with you showing your look of choice. There’s a fine line between choppy fine layers and chopped off. Share your new cut with us on Instagram @VS_Sassoon and #LoveVSstyle.
Stay up to date on the latest hair trends, hair styling, hair health and tutorials by checking out our blog.
Want more? Then check out our VIP group and join us to have all our hair news delivered straight to your inbox.
Enjoy your new cut for summer!
Love Your Style, the VS Sassoon Team x