Strap on your heels, slip on your favourite dress, pick up a new fascinator and style your mane! It’s spring racing carnival season and it’s time to doll up! Grab your besties for a styling session and you’ll be clink, clink-ing at the races with best spring races hairstyles in no time! Fashion on the fields here we come!
To help you prepare for one of the biggest fashion seasons of the year VS Sassoon Stylist Rob Reeves guides the lovely Madeleine on how to create a ponytail updo with a fascinator, perfect for spring racing. Simple and elegant it’s a do it yourself hairstyle, just add your favourite fascinator. Cheers ladies!
Rob’s Tip: If you want looser, softer curls, take larger sections of hair and for tighter more defined curls, take smaller, thinner sections of hair. Check it out at 0:44
1. Firstly take a section from the temple on one side to the temple on the other side, twist and clip on top of the head. Next take a section from the top of the ear to the top of other ear and secure with a clip. The hair left down at the back is your first section.
2. From the first section take smaller sections about 3cm x 3cm. Hold the curler with the clasp open and facing forward, take a section of hair and starting 2 -3 centimeters from the root, wrap it around the curler. Hold it in the hair for approximately 5 to 10 seconds depending on your hair type and condition.
3. Continue the same technique on each section working your way to the top of the head, until every section has been curled.
4. Leave hair to cool, this will set the curl, once the hair is cool gently run fingers through hair to soften and style the curl.
5. Split hair in 2 sections from ear to ear separating the front and back of the head. Clip the front section out of the way, on top of the head.
6. Gently brush the bottom section smooth with your fingers and create a ponytail in the centre just below the crown and secure with a hair tie. Direct the hair back and secure into a ponytail with a hair tie, just below the crown area.
7. Repeat this on the top section securing just above the first ponytail.
8. Using a small amount of hair from the bottom ponytail, wrap it around the base of both ponytails to conceal the hair ties and secure underneath with a bobby pin.
9. For an extra stylish look, use a fascinator or decorative clasp to dress up the style.
That’s how to use a fascinator to create a spring racing updo. Now giddy up ladies and flaunt your style at the fashion on the fields! Happy punting!
Madeleine used the 25mm Curler from the Ceramic Curler range to pre-curl her hair before using hair ties to create her ponytail updo.
If you’re looking for more hairstyle inspiration then check out our favourite spring races hairstyles to get you race ready. You can create these looks with our range of stylers, dryers and straighteners and create your own individual style at home.
Love Your Style, from the VS Sassoon Team!