Are you crushing on curls as much as we are? Natural, flirty curls, romantic curls and sophisticated curls are in but how the heck do you style them? It can be a tricky challenge! We’ve taken the heartache out of it and prepped some inspirational tutorials so you can harness your inner Curl Queen and nail your curly hairstyles easily at home!
If your natural curls are on point and ready to style or if you want to give your straight locks a pick me up with curls, then read on. We have a playbook of easy curly looks that’ll make you want to dial up your curls into styles you’ll love.
Influencers are loving curly hairstyles too, so we’ve dropped some goodies below along with our hair tutorials by VS Stylist Rob Reeves. Rob shows how easily you can zhoozsh your curls into killer hairstyles.
Natural, softer curls are where it’s at, think boho, relaxed curls. One of our fave influencers Emily Rose Hannon has a really romantic take. We've taken this inspo and given it a little more structure with our plaited top knot.
This natural curls with a plaited top knot look is perfect for weekend style, date night, music gigs and anytime you need a free and easy look.
TIP: To create gorgeous natural, beach waves use the Curl Secret Optimum on the pre-set Natural Curl setting, which is 180 degrees for 8 seconds.
1. Start with hair pre-curled on the Natural Curl setting using the Curl Secret Optimum then soften with fingers.
2. Take a halo section on top of the head and create a ponytail.
3. Split the pony into 3 sections and create 3 plaits.
4. Stretch each plait to create a fuller, softer plait.
5. Separate and position the plaits until you’ve achieved your desired shape and pin.
And that’s how you create a boho inspired plaited top knot!
Nothing oozes sophistication more than a french roll!
Image source: @sasha_esenina
This all-up french roll is on-point but french rolls can feel a little on the stuffy side. We’ve made it more wearable for an everyday style by adding curls and a modern half up spin. Wear this look to the office, lunch with the girls, to a formal or a wedding.
TIP: To get this gorgeous curl use the Curl Secret Optimum on the pre-set Sophisticated Curl setting which is 200 degrees for 10 seconds. Wrap half into a french roll and pin!
1. Start with hair pre-curled on the Sophisticated Curl setting using the Curl Secret Optimum then soften with fingers.
2. Create a part from the right temple diagonally back to the left side of the crown and create a ponytail.
3. Sweep the left section back and backcomb two to three times for more fullness.
4. Wrap this section around the ponytail to create the French roll.
5. Use fingers to shape the roll.
6. Secure with bobby pins.
And that’s how you create a stunning curly, modern half up french roll!
Image source: @missysueblog
Curls, braids and ponys? Yes please! Nothing says more romantic and flirty than a plaited curly hairstyle. Pull it into a side ponytail, add a cute hair accessory and it’s perfect for a date night with bae.
TIP: For tight curls like these, use the Curl Secret Optimum on the Romantic Curl setting - 230 degrees for 12 seconds.
1. Start with hair pre-curled on the Romantic Curl setting using the Curl Secret Optimum then soften with fingers.
2. Create a section from the part on the right to the top of your ear and clip away.
3. Leave out your desired amount of fringe and clip away.
4. Sweep the rest of the hair back into a side ponytail and secure with a hair tie.
5. Unclip the right section and create a plait, securing with a hair tie.
6. Separate the plait with your fingers to soften.
7. Pin into the ponytail.
8. Add a ponytail cuff or hair accessory for a really on trend finish.
9. Comb and style your fringe.
And that’s how you create a gorgeous soft plaited side ponytail with a romantic curls finish.
Each of these looks were styled using the Curl Secret Optimum. Curls have never been easier to style with this automatic curler, hair goes in and curl comes out - it truly is that easy!
We absolutely adore curls and these curly hair tutorials are definitely easy to do it yourself at home. If you want more curl hairstyles we have loads of inspo on our blog from hair out styles, big glamour curls, and no frizz straightener curls.
You can check out all our curlers here and find the right tool for you.
Want more? Then check out our VIP group and join us to have all our hair news delivered straight to your inbox.
Love Your Style, from the VS Sassoon Team! x